Usually when we create a list using a "List Template". The lookup field doesnot take the reference. The blog will show you how to reproduce the issue and resolve it.
How to produce this issue.
- We have created 2 lists "Gender" and "Actors". Gender is going to be a lookup field in actors. After filling some data both the list will look like shown below.
- Save both list as a template with the content included. In this current example, i have given the names as "Template Gender" and "Tempate Actors".
- Download the stp files from the Site Settings > List Templates.
- Create another site. Upload the tempates Site Settings > List Templates.
- If you don't want to create another site than delete both list from current site.
- Once the template gets added. Use the template to create a list. In the below given images "Gender" List comes up fine but "Actors" List is not having anything in the "Gender" column field.
- Download the "Template-Actors.stp" file from "List Templates".
- Rename the file and change the extension of the file from ".stp" to ".cab".
- Once you have the extension as ".cab", extract the "Manifast.xml" file.
- Get the List ID of newly created "Gender".
- Replace the old value List Id in Lookup of Gender to New List ID
- After making the changes save the xml file.
- To recreate a CAB file open "Microsoft Visual Studio". Create a "CAB Project". In this case i have created "Template-Actors".(We can also use makecab.exe instead of visual studio.)
- Add the file Manifast.xml to the project.
- Build the cab project. Go to debug\bin folder you will find "Template-Actors.cab".
- Rename the file to "Template-Actors.stp".
- Upload the file to "List Template".
- Create a list using new template.
- The gender selections will now show up.