Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sharepoint - Troubleshooting a page with "?contents=1"

Guys, I found out something which is really cool. I was working on a custom web part. I added that web part on a page "Test.aspx". One of the web part was having an error "Object Reference...". There was no SharePoint Designer installed in my machine and now i was confused, how can i remove that web part so that at least the page show up? I found out that from a friend that if we just use "?contents=1" in the querystring we can get the list of web parts and can remove the web part directly.


This "?contents=1" also show the web parts which were added to page in past. Go through the below given images to have an idea what i am trying to explain.


  • Here you can see a page with 4 web parts added to it.
    1. Quick Clicks - This is my custom webpart. This webpart contains an error which blocks the whole page to load.
    2. Image Viewer - OOTB web part.
    3. XML Viewer - OOTB web part.
    4. Content Query - OOTB web part.
  • When I clicked "Save & Close" from the top ribbon. The page bombs out giving the error mentioned below.
  • Now as i mentioned above i used "?contents=1" and it showed me the list of all the web parts for this page.
  • In the above image "Custom Web Part" was added to the page but was deleted, still it shows up in the history.
Please let me know if there are any queries.

No comments:

Post a Comment